Sunday 22 March 2015

No Con-Fusion!

Riso Rosso con Funghi "Shimeji", Pancetta, Zenzero & Kimchi
Red "Cargo" Rice with Shimeji Mushrooms, Bacon, Ginger & Kimchi

 

There's no need for confusion- this is clearly fusion!
All I can say is that if you are looking for an authentic Asian recipe on my little blog- you are in the wrong place! The fact that I am Sicilian might hint at that...

But at the same time, if you are looking for a yummy idea for a tasty meal using a few Asian ingredients... and bacon- you are in the right place!


 

I couldn't resist the cute little shimeji mushrooms when I saw them at the Asian supermarket yesterday- which is why you are seeing these pictures of them, all cooked-up and ready to be eaten today!

And I have to tell you that this was a pretty good combination, along with a few simple spices and served on a bed of chewy, red "cargo" rice... an excellent and light, yet filling supper!

And please don't ask me why this lovely red rice is known as cargo rice... as obviously every other kind of rice that is shipped or flown over here from Asia has been "cargo" at some point! All I know is that it has a great nutty flavor... and I like it!


 

So- for my single serving, I needed 1 1/2 cups of red rice, 1 little tray of shimeji mushrooms, 2 rashers of bacon, 2 tablespoons of kimchi, 1 shallot, about 3" of fresh ginger, some fresh cilantro, dark soy sauce and red chili flakes to season... that was all!

 

The result was a great balancing act between the salty bacon, the sweet shallot, the tangy kimchi, hot chili flakes and ginger and mild mushrooms... pretty close to being perfect! And brought closer still by the chewy rice which had been boiled with chopped ginger and the finishing touch of the refreshing cilantro... I could eat it all over again!

 
I chopped the ginger into a very fine dice, cut the shallot into fine slices, the bacon into 2" sections and simply cut the mushrooms from their base.

I started the rice cooking in 3 ups of water, with a teaspoon of finely chopped ginger and a couple of tablespoons of dark soy sauce. And in the 25 minutes it took to boil, (yes, it does take a little longer than normal white rice), I had everything else ready to serve with it. And I prepared them like this...


 

I started off with the bacon, about 1 teaspoon of chopped ginger and the finely sliced shallot. Once the bacon had begun to sizzle and the shallot had become translucent, I added the mushrooms and a good pinch of chili flakes. I used my favorite, shrimp-flavored chili flakes- but of course any will do!

 

As soon as the mushrooms started to soften and become slightly brown, I added the kimchi and gave everything a good-old stir-fry!

And yes, that's right- no oil and no further seasonings were required- there was already going on right there in the pan!


 
 
All that was needed at that point was for the mushrooms and other yumminess to be served up on a bed of the red rice, with a few leaves of cilantro... and to enjoy!

 

And what is more important than having a great, tasty and well balanced meal? Nothing! And this was authentically that in every way!

No comments:

Post a Comment