Sunday 10 May 2015

The Fast & The Beautiful

Crespellone con Fiocchi d'Avena & Yogurt, con Mirtilli. Mela, Pistacchi & Miele
Oatmeal & Yogurt Pancake with Blueberries, Apple, Pistachio & Honey

 

Sunday, only day of the week I have a chance to have a "real breakfast" and a morning that I like to take it easy on and enjoy... Even indulge a little!

And when I say indulge "a little", that is exactly what I mean... Because as you can see here, it really doesn't take much... To be able to enjoy a lot!


 

Now, I could have made a boiled egg and had a slice of toast with it, then had a couple of spoonfuls of yogurt with a handful of blueberries and a spoonful of oatmeal and gone on with my day, munching on an apple... And everyone, (including myself!), would have thought "big deal".

But I didn't. I made myself this instead!  


 

Hold on to your horses... Here comes another of my epic ingredient lists... Hope you can afford this! 1 egg, 1 small apple, 2 tablespoons of oatmeal, 2 tablespoons of flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, a handful each of blueberries and pistachios and a little butter. I know, it's a lot!


Obviously, as I live alone, I simply made this one-man version, just to treat my lil' ol' lonesome... But should you be making them for your family, or for friends, or be thinking of feeding the 5000... I am sure that the math to make a larger portion will not be beyond you! It's just simple stuff... And that's what's usually best, after all!

  
Peel and slice the apple and let the slices soften in a little water, with a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, for around 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the water has evaporated away. No need for butter, just heat and moisture, to get the apple soft and infused with cinnamon flavor.

Once done, set them to one side to cool, turn on the oven to warm and start preparing the batter.



Simply stir together the egg, yogurt, flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, baking powder and super in a bowl and give them a good whisk... Then set the batter aside and allow it to rest for 10 minutes, so that the baking powder can get to work, the flour and oatmeal can bind with the egg and yogurt... And the batter is ready to go!


And a good knob of butter to your pan and once melted, pour in the batter and smooth it out gently, keeping it relatively small and thick, rather than large and flat. Add apple slices and berries- not too little and not to much! And fry at a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes until the base begins to set nicely.

Transfer to the hot oven, and finish "baking " for 10 minutes or so at 180 C.


 

After 10 minutes, sprinkle with chopped pistachios and drizzle with honey, then return to the oven to finish baking for a further 3-4 minutes before serving.

I didn't add the pistachios right at the beginning, as I didn't want them to lose their nice green color too much... And obviously I didn't add the honey at the beginning either, otherwise it too would have burned and become bitter... This way, everything turned out just perfect!


 

At least, I would describe this as pretty much perfect! How about all of you, good people?

 

Pretty as a picture... And a picture that's good enough to eat!

 
 
 Beautiful, delicious... And so easy to make! What an excellent way to start the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment